Two stage snow blowers are typically better for gravel driveways because they don’t typically have to touch as near to the ground. If you are on the lookout for the best two-stage snow blower under $1000, you do not have to search far!
Keep on reading the rest of this post and we’ll have a quick look at some of the top options that should be on your radar.
- Best 2 Stage Snow Blower under $1000
- Husqvarna ST224P, 24 in. 208cc Two-Stage Gas Snow Blower with Power Steering and Electric Start
- Snow Joe ION8024 Cordless 2 Stage Electric Snow Blower Under $400
- YARDMAX YB6270 Best 2 Stage Snow Blower Under $600
- Poulan Pro PR241 24-inch Best Two Stage Electric Snow Blower Under $1000
- Briggs & Stratton 1696614 24″ 2-Stage Snowthrower
- PowerSmart DB72024PA 2-Stage Gas Snow Blower
- Troy-Bilt Storm 2890 Two-stage Gas Snow Thrower
- Toro SnowMaster 724 QXE 24 in. Gas Snow Blower
- DAYE DS24E Two-Stage Snow Blower
- Single-Stage vs Two-Stage Snow Blowers
- How Does a 2 Stage Snow Blower Work?
- What Are Two Stage Snow Blowers?
- Snow Blower Tips and Tricks
Best 2 Stage Snow Blower under $1000
To be provided the best bang for the buck and the assurance that you will end up with a reliable snow removal tool, below are some of the products that should be on your list.
Husqvarna ST224P, 24 in. 208cc Two-Stage Gas Snow Blower with Power Steering and Electric Start
This is made by one of the most trusted brands on the market, which should already give you enough reason to have it chosen over others. It is also powered by a 208cc engine, guaranteeing ultimate reliability. It has 15-inch tires, which are large and rugged enough to tackle all terrains.
For your comfort, it comes with an adjustable handle. You can customize the height and position depending on what you find to be most comfortable. The handle grips are also heated, making it easier to work during the winter. Plus, it has bright headlights for illuminating the place where you have to remove snow.
Snow Joe ION8024 Cordless 2 Stage Electric Snow Blower Under $400
This self-propelled and battery-powered two-stage snow blower is one of the most innovative products you can find on the market today. It boasts of an 8-volt rechargeable lithium-ion battery. When the battery is fully charged, it can provide up to 30 minutes of continuous runtime.
There is a push-button display for your convenience. The dash comes with LEDs that will let you know the direction at which it is going. It also has an easy speed selector that will allow you to choose from four speeds. Lastly, the manufacturer is offering a two-year warranty.
YARDMAX YB6270 Best 2 Stage Snow Blower Under $600
This model is powered by a 208cc snow engine with a rated power of 7HP. This is one of the cheapest from the products that are mentioned in this post but that does not mean that it is the weakest in terms of the performance it delivers.
It is a multi-speed snow blower, providing users with the option to choose from two reverse and six forward speeds. It has augers that are made of serrated steel, allowing it to effortlessly tackle even thick snow. The high-speed impeller allows it to consume more snow at a given time to cut down the time you have to spend using the equipment.
Poulan Pro PR241 24-inch Best Two Stage Electric Snow Blower Under $1000
Even if you have to deal with thick snow, you do not have to exert too much effort with the use of this equipment. It is equipped with a 208cc engine made exclusively by the company, providing an assurance of its powerful performance.
It also has heavy-duty ribbon augers, which will allow it to effortlessly penetrate even thick snow. For your convenience, it has an electric start feature and also has a console-mounted chute that will make it effortless to control its functions. Lastly, the manufacturer is offering a four-year warranty for the engine and two-year warranty for all other parts.
Briggs & Stratton 1696614 24″ 2-Stage Snowthrower
One of the reasons for the popularity of this model is the 208cc 4-cycle OHV engine that runs on gas. It offers versatility to its users, basically because there are two reverse and six forward speeds.
It has a cleaning path of 26 inches and a height of 21 inches, so there is no need to worry even if the snow is thick. This product is going to be a beast! The 15-inch tires are also exceptional, which will provide maximum traction even when the ground is wet and slippery. There is also an in-dash light that will come useful when you are working in a low light environment.
PowerSmart DB72024PA 2-Stage Gas Snow Blower
For the budget under $500, it is highly recommended. You’ll be confident maneuvering the PowerSmart DB72024PA 24-inch 2-Stage Electric Start Gas Snow Blower in deep snow or slippery surfaces with power assist with 212cc engine with electric start.
Have this exact unit and it works very well. The chute does not rotate 180 degrees, more like 150. But it is a great unit for the price and it has yet to jam up. Throwing snow a foot deep is child’s play with a versatile drive system allows 4 forward and 2 reverse speed variations for enhanced driving convenience.
Troy-Bilt Storm 2890 Two-stage Gas Snow Thrower
This is a snow blower that is powered by a 243cc engine, which is a bit more powerful compared to most of the options with only a 208cc engine. Some might have a hesitation using a snow blower with a gas engine because of the loud sound that it produces while working.
Thankfully, this model is equipped with a revolutionary noise guard, which will be effective in making it quiet. There is a chute rotation control crank, which makes the operation of the equipment almost effortless, even if you are a novice. It has light and reflective strips, which will improve visibility. Lastly, it comes with a two-year warranty from the manufacturer.
Toro SnowMaster 724 QXE 24 in. Gas Snow Blower
I bought the Toro SnowMaster 724 QXE in the fall and used it during Boston’s moderate holiday snow 2-4 inches and bomb cyclone 12-20 inches. It was quite simply the best two snow thrower under $1000 I’ve ever used.
It is incredibly fast and amazing how much time you’ll save not shifting gears, throws snow farther than either of my previous two-stage machines, is a very easy maneuver, and cut through end-of-driveway plow pileup like it was butter. Of course, you need to do partial passes for the deep/heavy stuff, but that’s normal for most snow throwers.
Traction can be a bit of an issue because it’s so light, but I found that to be a very minor inconvenience compared to all the positives for this snow thrower.
Toro SnowMaster 724 QXE moves at least twice as fast as any two stages I’ve seen. I think this Toro would have no problem with the plowed packed snow by the curb if he went slow and steady or just take a smaller bite but as you said “his first time”. Looks to be as easy or easier to use than a single-stage and for sure it’s faster and lighter than a two-stage.
DAYE DS24E Two-Stage Snow Blower
One of the best features of this two-stage snow blower is the LCT Storm Force engine with a rated power of 208cc. This is the same engine that is used in the more expensive models and is known for being able to start effortlessly even in the coldest temperatures.
It also comes with a 12-inch auger and impeller, making it easy to tackle even thick snow. The chute, on the other hand, has premium steel construction that makes it longer-lasting compared to those that are made of plastic. Lastly, the manufacturer is offering a two-year warranty.
Single-Stage vs Two-Stage Snow Blowers
As you try to search for the best snow blower on the market, you will be confronted with two choices – single stage and two stage models. Which one is the better option for you?
If you plan to take only small jobs, a single-stage blower will be more than enough for you. This is also the better option for the budget-conscious buyers as they are generally cheap. They are also lightweight and compact, making them easy to handle. Often, they are suitable only if you have to clear snow with a thickness of less than eight inches.
For the more demanding tasks, on the other hand, you should choose a two-stage snow blower, including those that have been briefly reviewed above. They have power-assisted wheels, making them more effective for thicker snow. They have more powerful augers and impellers. Even if the snow is up to 36 inches in terms of thickness, this equipment will prove to be reliable.
How Does a 2 Stage Snow Blower Work?
Now that you know how it is different from a single-stage snow blower, let us look at how it works.
As the name implies, there are basically two stages. The first stage is the collection of the snow from the source, which is made possible by the auger and the impeller. The latter should be made of high-quality materials so that they won’t be easily prone to breakage, especially when the snow is thick.
Once the snow has been collected by the auger, it will be broken down into smaller pieces. After this, it will be thrown out of the chute.
What Are Two Stage Snow Blowers?
It is also important to take note of the fact that not all two-stage snow blowers are the same. They are different from each other in terms of their features, price, and performance.
- Entry-Level Two-Stage Snow Blower: For basic needs and novices, this will be more than enough. It is economy-grade, which makes it the cheapest from the three types. Often, it has a 208c engine, an intake of 17 to 23 inches, and a clearing width of 20 to 27 inches.
- Mid-Range Two-Stage Snow Blower: They are bigger and beefier compared to an entry-level model. Most of those that fall under this category come with a 196cc engine, an intake height of 16 to 23 inches, and a clearing width of 22 to 45 inches.
- Professional Two-Stage Snow Blower: It is the most powerful from the three. Most of the models have a 196cc engine, an intake height of 20 to 23.5 inches, and a clearing path of 24 to 45 inches. They use commercial-quality components, making it tough.
Snow Blower Tips and Tricks
Before we end this post, allow us to give you some tips and tricks on how to make the most out of the snow blower you are using.
- Always perform a pre-inspection of the snow blower to make sure that it will be working properly and that it will be safe to operate.
- Decide on the pattern of how you plan to tackle the snow. You cannot just work in random patterns as this will make the job a lot more difficult. Make sure to not blow the snow into the streets as this could put other people at risk.
- When the snow blower is running, it is advisable that you use both hands, which will provide you with a better control, especially when it comes to steering. This is also safer and will prevent slipping.
- Keep it slow and steady. It is not a race, so be patient when dealing with snow. If you have to turn, take it slowly. Again, you are not on a race track.
- Proper care and maintenance are also important. See to it that all parts are working perfectly. If there is any problem, best to have it addressed as soon as possible before it becomes worse and costlier to fix.
When it comes to snow removal, do not do it manually with the use of a shovel! Instead, invest in a trustworthy 2-stage snow blower, including those that have been mentioned above. It can significantly cut down the time it takes to complete the job while also providing an assurance that you won’t end up complaining of an aching body!