Traditionally, a hose is used when cleaning cars. This is cheap, but the problem is that the pressure may not be enough to remove stubborn dirt and grime. Fortunately, there are now pressure washers that can be used. It is a piece of highly-advanced equipment that makes cleaning easier, quicker, and more effective.
If you are searching for the best pressure washer for cars, this post has got you covered. I will walk you through the two types that are available – gas and electric pressure washers. This guide will compare the two and identify some of the best brands and models in each category, which will make it easier for you to arrive at a well-informed decision.
Which Pressure Washer is Better Gas or Electric Pressure Washer for Car Detailing?
When buying a pressure washer that is meant to be used for cleaning a car, the options are almost endless. You have to think about price, cleaning performance, ease of use, durability, and warranty, among other things. Nonetheless, one of the first considerations would be whether you should go for an electric pressure washer or one that is gas-powered.
To provide you with a better understanding of which one is more suitable for your needs, in this section, we will have a look at the pros and cons of each of them.
Electric Pressure Washers Pros and Cons:
As the name shows, this type would require a supply of electricity to be powered. There is a plug that needs to be connected to an electrical current.
- Affordable: Compared to its counterpart, the electric pressure washers are generally cheaper, making it the perfect choice for people who have a tight budget.
- Lightweight: Because there is no gas tank that needs to be filled, another advantage is that it usually has minimal weight. This means that moving it around will be easier, and hence, it can minimize fatigue.
- Operates Quietly: Using a pressure washer can be annoying, basically because it can produce a loud noise. Luckily, if it is electric, more often than not, the noise can be kept to a minimum.
- Easy to Use: If you want a pressure washer that is user-friendly, this will be a good choice. You simply have to push the start button and the engine will be activated.
- Limited Power: If you look at the technical specifications of electric pressure washers, one thing you will easily notice is that they are less powerful. This means that they must be limited to small and medium-duty cleaning applications.
- Lack of Portability: With an electric pressure washer, you need to have a supply of electricity, which makes it not portable. Also, the length of the cord might limit your movements.
Gas Pressure Washers Pros and Cons:
For more demanding cleaning applications, pressure washers that are powered by gas can be the better alternative.
- Powerful Cleaning Performance: Without a doubt, this is its biggest advantage over its electric counterparts. It is perfect for industrial and heavy-duty applications. This is an ideal investment for a car wash shop because of its incredible power.
- Portable: If you need to clean cars in different locations or in places where there is no supply of electricity, this type should be your choice. there is no power cord. It can be heavy, but given the fact that most of them have well-designed wheels, moving it around will be almost effortless on your end.
- Cleans Quickly: Because of the powerful motor, it will allow you to accomplish a cleaning task quicker, even when you have to deal with tough stain and dirt.
- Requires More Maintenance: One of the drawbacks is that it requires more effort when it comes to maintenance. To be specific, you will need to check oil levels and make sure gas is drained prior to storage.
- Expensive: The power of this pressure washer is the reason why it is more expensive. Most novices stay away from its because of its high price.
Which is Better?
It all boils down to personal preferences. If you want one that is cheap and excellent for light-duty cleaning, an electric pressure washer is the best pick. On the other hand, if budget is not an issue and if you want one that is suitable for heavy-duty cleaning jobs, you should go for a gas-powered pressure washer.
Top 4 Electric Pressure Washers for Cars
The short table below provides a quick summary of some of the top picks in the market and followed by a detailed review of these products.
|Sun Joe SPX3000 Electric Pressure Washer||1.76 GPM||2,030 PSI||$$|
|Karcher K5 Electric Pressure Washer||1.4 GPM||2,000 PSI||$$|
|AR Blue Clean AR383 Electric Pressure Washer||1.5 GPM||1,900 PSI||$|
|Greenworks GPW1501 Pressure Washer||1.2 GPM||1,500 PSI||$|
1. Sun Joe SPX3000 2030 Max PSI 1.76 GPM 14.5-Amp Electric High Pressure Washer, Cleans Cars/Fences/Patios
This is one of the electric pressure washers with the highest rating that you can find online. It can be attributed to the fact that it comes with a powerful 14.5-amp motor that can deliver up to 1,800 watts of power. It has a force of 2,030 PSI while the flow rate is 1.76 GPM.
For versatility, you will also love how it comes with 5-quick connect nozzles, which will allow you to use it in multiple applications, not just for cleaning cars. Aside from the soap nozzle, you can also choose from 0, 15, 25, and 40-degrees.
It is also worth noting that it comes with the Total Stop System, a feature that prolongs the functional life of the motor while also helping to conserve energy. This allows the pump to turn off on its own when the trigger is not engaged.
This pressure washer also comes with dual detergent tanks. This means that you can carry more onboard, providing the assurance that you will not run out of detergent. Plus, because there are two tanks, you can use two different types of detergent at a time.
- Solid and durable construction
- Easy to use even for beginners
- Can be used for multiple applications beyond washing cars
- Garden hose connector can be prone to leaking
- Motor can be prone to burning
2. Karcher K5 2000 PSI, 1.4 GPM Electric Pressure Washer
For most small to medium-duty car cleaning, this can prove to be sufficient. It has 2,000 PSI and 1.4 GPM. The flow rate may not be the best, but with its pressure, it can guarantee an exceptional cleaning performance.
Among others, one of its best features is the Vario Power Spray Wand. With the latter, you can easily adjust the spray pattern of the wand, depending on what is suitable for a specific cleaning task. There is also a Dirt Blaster spray wand, which is made specifically to tackle the toughest dirt.
More so, another thing that makes this an exceptional choice is the N-Cor pump. The latter is made from a non-corrosive material, which makes it hard to rival in terms of durability. It is also maintenance-free.
Lastly, there is a water-cooled induction motor. Compared to the standard motors that you can find in competing models, this is five times better, which is another reason why you can expect that it will be long-lasting.
- Excellent wheels for ease of mobility
- Has a long high-pressure hose
- Comes with a 2-year warranty
- Can be a bit heavy for some users
- Pressure can be low for some people
3. AR Blue Clean AR383 Electric Pressure Washer
Among others, one of the best things about this product is that it weighs less than 30 pounds, making it an excellent choice if you want one that is lightweight. Complemented with well-designed wheels, you can be sure that moving it around will be a piece of cake.
This is also a user-friendly electric pressure washer. Right out of the box, you do not have to exert too much effort to complete its assembly.
It also comes with a 35-foot power cord, which will provide you with the freedom to move around. This means that you do not always have to be near the supply of power. The high-pressure hose, on the other hand, has a length of 20 feet.
Lastly, to provide you with peace of mind, the manufacturer is offering a one-year bumper to bumper warranty.
- Lightweight and easy to move around
- Comes with a lot of accessories and attachments
- Easy to assemble and operate
- Hose can be hard to reel
- Hose adapter is made from flimsy plastic
4. Greenworks 1500 PSI 13 Amp 1.2 GPM Pressure Washer GPW1501
This is another perfect choice for people who are looking for a budget-friendly alternative. Given its price point, however, expect that it will deliver only basic functions. It is not as powerful as the three other products that have been mentioned above.
This is a lightweight and compact product, which is excellent in terms of portability. When cleaning cars, you can use it in both horizontal and vertical orientations and it will be stable.
There are two quick connect tips that are included – 25 and 40 degrees. There is also a soap applicator.
Lastly, it has a certification from the Pressure Washer Manufacturers’ Association, which means that it has passed rigid tests before being released in the market.
- Affordable price
- Compact design
- Comes with an adjustable wand
- Knobs can be flimsy
- May lack power for some applications
4 Top Gas Pressure Washers for Cars
The short table below will give you a quick comparison of the products that will be further tackled in this section.
1. Generac 6882 GPW 2900PSI Power Washer SPEEDW
Among others, the spray wand is one of the best parts of this gas pressure washer. It has an ergonomic design, which provides an assurance of your comfort. It significantly minimizes fatigue. Plus, there is also an easy to access Power Dial, which will make it easy to customize the pressure of the water.
It is also a good thing that it comes with oversized tires that will never get flat. Even if the pressure washer is quite heavy, mobility will never be an issue because it has excellent tires.
You will also love the axial pump that is incorporated in the pressure washer, which is one of the reasons why it is powerful. The pump also has easy to access connections, making it effortless to attach a hose.
There is also a ½ gallon detergent that is on-board the unit, which will lessen the hassle that is associated with its use.
- Delivers powerful cleaning performance
- Easy to start
- Excellent nozzle storage
- Instructions provided are vague
- Some connections are flimsy
2. Simpson Cleaning MSH3125-S Gas Pressure Washer
With 3,100 PSI and 2.5 GPM, there is no doubt that this is another powerful option that should be part of your list of choices. To make it even better, it comes with a Honda motor, which is known for delivering performance that is hard to rival.
The quality of the hose is one more thing that should be highlighted in this product. It can resist kink and abrasion, which is one of the reasons why it is durable. They will be perfect even for heavy-duty use, unlike others that can be easily prone to wear and tear.
While it is useful for cleaning cars, it can deliver multiple applications. One of the reasons for this is the inclusion of different nozzles, which are also effortless to connect. You can choose which spray pattern is most suitable for a specific cleaning task.
The 10-inch pneumatic tires are also great. They make sure that moving the pressure washer around will not be a difficult task. These tires will be effortless to move regardless of the surface where it is.
- Has a powerful Honda engine
- Long-lasting hose
- Different nozzles for multiple cleaning applications
- Quite heavy
- No detergent tank is included
3. WEN PW3100 3100 PSI 2.5 GPM 208cc Gas Pressure Washer
This gas-powered pressure washer delivers 2.5 GPM and 3,100 PSI. One of its noteworthy features is the 208cc 4-stroke OHV engine, which allows the product to clean even the toughest dirt without the need to exert too much effort.
Similar to most of the top-notch options that you can find on the market, there are five nozzles that are included, each is easy to connect. With multiple nozzles, you can use it in different tasks, not just for cleaning your car.
To make it effortless to have the pressure washer moved around, it has 12-inch wheels. They are made from excellent materials and designed in such a way that you can move it easily even on tough terrains.
To make it user-friendly, there is an on-board soap tank. There is also a 30-foot hose to provide you with the freedom to move around when cleaning without having to push the washer with you.
Lastly, if you want to have peace of mind, it is also good to know that the manufacturer is offering a warranty for two years.
- Sleek and compact design
- Has a powerful engine
- Affordable price
- Can be difficult to start
- Hose can be stiff
4. Westinghouse WPX2700 Gas Powered Pressure Washer 2700 PSI and 2.3 GPM, Soap Tank and Four Nozzle Set, CARB Compliant
With only 2,3 GPM and 2,700 PSI, this is the least powerful from the gas-powered pressure washers that are mentioned in this post. Nonetheless, this is also the most affordable. This is ideal for budget-conscious buyers looking for a pressure washer for light-duty cleaning.
In terms of design, I liked the ergonomic handle, which will make you feel comfortable, and hence, can lessen fatigue. I also loved how the handle can be folded, which keeps it compact in the storage room.
The flat-free tires are also worth mentioning. With the latter, you will never need to inflate, and best of all, you have the assurance that it will stay inflated.
There are also four quick connect nozzles that are included, which are suitable for different cleaning applications. You can choose from 0, 25, 40, and soap.
Built from a powerful 4-Cycle Horizontal Shaft OHV Westinghouse Engine, it’s meant for powerful heavy-duty cleaning. Deep cleaning projects such as decks, sidewalks, siding, fences, railings, garage floors, exterior walls, cars, or patio furniture is easier than ever before.
- Has an affordable price
- Operates with low noise even if it is gas-powered
- Compact design
- Some might find pressure to be low
- Stiff hose
In sum, whether you opt for a gas or electric pressure washer, it is an essential tool for cleaning your car and it can make your life easier in more ways than one. At the end of the day, it is your personal needs and preferences that will dictate which one is more appropriate for your needs. All that you have to do is carefully evaluate the possibilities to make a decision you will not regret.
Did you learn anything from this guide? Is there anything else that you would like to add? Do not hesitate to leave a comment below.