What kind of rugs pad are safe for hardwood floors? I just had dark engineered wood floor installed in my kitchen, dining room and living room and am planning to get a few large area rugs. I’ve heard horror stories from folks whose rugs have destroyed their floors, so I want to make sure I do this right. Does anyone have suggestions on the best rug pads? Are PVC ones bad for your floors? I was going to try the ones from Crate and barrel, but they are pricey. Are they worth the money? Is it true the rubber backed ones can stick to the floor and leave a mess? I know the floor color may change around the rugs, but I’m less concerned about that. Just don’t want the rugs to leave an imprint or anything on the floor.
And so lucky my friend currently works as a engineer for one of the felt rug padding and carpet padding manufacturers Rug Pad USA, Mohawk, Shaw…. and I’ve actually asked him this same exact issue.
I’m live and work in Chatham County GA and our summers are as humid and muggy as they come. I asked him specifically what pads would work to avoid the “Sweating” issue. My clients and I complain about this all the time – the pads get glued to the floor. One of my clients had to replace a portion of their hardwood to fix this issue.
And this is the rug pad experience for hardwood floors that he shared with me:
– How do you keep rugs from slipping on hardwood floors? A 100% felt rug pad is actually recycled polypropylene fibers but it won’t ever stain, nor sweat, but the rug has to be large enough not to move. But with smaller rugs, you need to stick with a rubber or latex product to prevent “sweating” and sticking.
– Felt and rubber rug pads are made with either synthetic latex (lower cost) or Natural rubber (more expensive), he thought that both should be dry enough that they shouldn’t sweat between your floors.
– With his experience he also recommend Mohawk Home Dual Surface Felt and Latex Non Slip Rug Pad, 8’x10′ has the best combination of cushioning and nonskid grip. It not just for hardwood floors, but for all types of surfaces as well.
A rug pad provides a protective barrier to the hardwood floor. It also prevents slipping. Plus, it adds comfort as it makes the rug thicker. With too many options, however, which one should you choose? Do not just believe the claims made by sellers. Take the time to evaluate the possibilities. Better yet, read this guide and I will help you to come up with the right decision.
- Our Top 10 Picks for the Best Rug Pads for Hardwood Floors
- Mohawk Home Dual Surface Felt and Latex Non-Slip Rug Pad
- Epica Super Grip Non-Slip Area Rug Pad
- Gorilla Grip Original Area Rug Gripper Pad
- Rug Pad USA Premium Non-Slip Rug Padding
- Ninja Brand Gripper Rug Pad
- Grip Master 2x Thickness Area Rug Pad
- Alpine Neighbor Rug Pad
- Grip-It Duo Lock Reversible Rug Pad
- Rose Home Fashion Rug Pad
- Sugarman Creations Non-Slip Rug Pad
- Is a Rug Pad Necessary For Hardwood Floors?
- What Kind of Rugs are Safe For Hardwood Floors?
- How to Clean Care for Area Rugs on Hardwood Floors?
Our Top 10 Picks for the Best Rug Pads for Hardwood Floors
Our team spent hours of research and evaluated a number of products to come up with a list of some of the top-rated rug pads that will work for your hardwood floors, including those that are briefly mentioned below.
Mohawk Home Dual Surface Felt and Latex Non-Slip Rug Pad
This is a rug pad that works not just for hardwood floors, but for all types of surfaces as well. It is made in the USA, which is why you can be confident about its quality and durability. Plus, it makes use of high-end materials that will help improve longevity and comfort. It has a thickness of ¼-inch, making the surface plush and comfortable for you to step on. Despite being thick, the material is easy to cut out so that you can have it customized depending on the size and shape of the rug that you will place on the top.
Epica Super Grip Non-Slip Area Rug Pad
Designed with open-air physics, this is a rug pad that will react to a sudden pressure of the movements. Plus, the suction is also said to be two times better compared to what you can expect from most of its competitors. This makes it twice as thick as most of the rug pads, which you can instantly feel upon stepping on the rug. This is going to guarantee your highest level of comfort. It should also be noted that it is made of plant-derived and 100% eco-friendly materials. The manufacturer also offers a limited lifetime no-slip warranty, which is a testament to how much they believe in the quality of this product.
Gorilla Grip Original Area Rug Gripper Pad
This may not be as thick as the other rug pads, but this is one of the favorites within the product category. It is made using premium materials to guarantee durability. The rug pad comes with an innovative open-grid construction, which is effective in the prevention of the build-up of dust and bacteria. It is already pre-cut in a determined size, but if you need to customize it, there should be no problem as having it trimmed is sure to be a piece of cake. If you are unhappy in any way with the use of this rug pad, get in touch with the manufacturer and they will issue a no-hassle and unconditional refund.
Rug Pad USA Premium Non-Slip Rug Padding
Made by one of the most popular rug pad brands, this product has a 100% rubber and felt construction. It has a textured backing, which helps in improving its non-slip performance. It also comes with a ¼-inch thick dense felt to provide the cushioning, making the surface plush and comfortable. The thick felt surface is also beneficial in terms of sound-proofing, as it has insulation and dampening properties. The breathable material is also a plus, which makes it almost effortless to clean and vacuum. Lastly, the rug pad comes with a 20-year warranty from the manufacturer.
Ninja Brand Gripper Rug Pad
This is a non-adhesive, low-profile, and lightweight rug pad that should be part of your list of choices. It comes with an open-weave design, which will be instrumental in the improvement of airflow. Because of this, mold, odor, and dust buildup at the bottom of the rug can be prevented. The company offers a guarantee of satisfaction for ten years, which is hard to match by the guarantee that is offered by any other manufacturer or seller.
Grip Master 2x Thickness Area Rug Pad
The toughest rug pad on the block – this is what the manufacturer claims. While it might seem like too big of a claim to make, this can actually be justified by the fact that it uses high-quality materials. The thickness is two times more compared to what you can see from its leading competitors. This means that the cushion and support that it can provide to the rug will also be twice as effective. It has an open-grid technology, which is beneficial in terms of improving ventilation to prevent dust and dirt from accumulating underneath. This also makes cleaning a breeze.
Alpine Neighbor Rug Pad
Among others, one of the defining features of this product is the Grip Tight Technology. This allows it to deliver exceptional grip in the absence of creating markings on the floor. The thick felt padding is also great because of the plush cushion that it provides, which you can instantly feel upon stepping on the rug. Because of the thickness, this will also be effective in the absorption of noise. This will also absorb impact from the objects that might be accidentally dropped on the rug.
Grip-It Duo Lock Reversible Rug Pad
One of the things that you will love in this rug pad is its reversible design, which will make it a versatile choice. Regardless of which side you use, you can be confident about its performance. There is a needle-punched felt surface on one side while the other side is a textured rubber, which will help in preventing the rug from slipping regardless of the movements that will be made. It is made using materials that will not stain or mark the floors. It can also resist mold and mildew, providing an assurance that the rug pad will be long-lasting.
Rose Home Fashion Rug Pad
This rug pad is made of rubberized PVC to effectively keep the rug in its place even in areas where there is high foot traffic. It is made of an extra-strong material that will also provide a guarantee of its durability. The non-slip pad is also washable to get rid of dirt and dust while making sure that it won’t frequently ask for a replacement. To provide you with peace of mind, this rug pad comes with a lifetime guarantee from the manufacturer.
Sugarman Creations Non-Slip Rug Pad
This rug pad has 100% rubber and felt construction, providing it with a quality that will be hard to rival. Grip and padding are maximized through the materials that are used. This has a reversible design, so it can work whether the rubber is at the top or bottom. If the size is not right for the shape of your rug, you can have it easily customized on your own. It is soft, and hence, you will not have a hard time cutting it based on your specifications. The manufacturer also offers a 100% satisfaction-guarantee for you to purchase without any risk.
Is a Rug Pad Necessary For Hardwood Floors?
If you think that a rug pad is useless and that it will be nothing but a waste of money, here are some of the reasons that will convince you to buy one:
- Protects the Floor: Hardwood floors, depending on the material, can be expensive. A good way to protect it would be through having a non-marking rug pad. This will prevent scratches and marks that can be caused by the rug when it moves.
- Protects the Rug: More than protecting the floor, it also provides protection to the rug, prolonging wear and tear. It acts as a barrier between the floor and the rug, which will protect the fibers and the material.
- Prevents Slipping: Using a rug pad is also critical for your safety as it prevents slipping, especially when the hardwood material is slippery. It prevents the rug from moving, making it effective in the prevention of slips and falls.
- Reduces Noise: A rug pad can also be effective in insulation from noise. Especially when you use a rug pad made of a thick material, it effectively dampens noise. This is great for a small apartment with noisy neighbors!
- Improves Comfort: When you are walking on the top of a rug with a pad underneath, you will feel that there is a cushion. When there is no rug pad, on the other hand, it feels too hard when you are walking barefoot.
What Kind of Rugs are Safe For Hardwood Floors?
When evaluating the possibilities, here are some of the most important considerations to increase the likelihood of making the right decision:
1. Material: This is important as it will have a direct impact on the overall quality of the rug pad. Here are some of the most common materials that you will find:
- Felt and Rubber: This is the best material for a rug pad. It is felt with a rubber backing. The felt is effective in providing underfoot cushioning. The rubber, meanwhile, is great for grip and prevention of slipping.
- Felt: The grip that it can provide is minimal, although this will be good for a large rug with heavy furniture.
- Rubber Mesh: If it is in a place with low clearance or a location that frequently gets wet, this is a good material of choice.
2. Thickness: This is one thing that is quite personal or based on your needs. Thicker rug pads are great in terms of comfort because of the cushioning. On the other hand, if the area does not have high foot traffic, you may not need thick rugs.
3. Customization: Rug pads are sold in pre-determined sizes. Nonetheless, you should choose one that is trimmable. This should be made of a material that you can cut on your own to personalize the shape and size depending on the rug that you will use.
4. Construction: There are some rug pads with a technology that is known as open-grid or open-weave pattern. This is actually a good choice since it means that the airflow is improved to prevent the accumulation of dirt and dust on the surface.
5. Warranty: A lot of the rug pads will have a warranty that lasts for 10 to 20 years, which shows how confident the manufacturer is about the quality. If you want to have peace of mind, consider the warranty coverage.
What is the right size rug?
For some reason having a rug that’s too small for the room it’s in is still one of the most common decorating mistakes. For most average-sized rooms, there should be about 10″ – 20″ of bare floor between the edges of the rug and the walls of the room (depending on the size of the room you can go as low as 8” and as high as 24”).
The rug pad should be about one inch less than your rug size on all four sides. So if the size of your rug size is 8’x10′, then the rug pad size should be 7’10”x9’10”, a total of two inches less in each dimension, which is the same as one inch less on all four sides.
Make sure the rug is centered in the room and the distance between the rug and the wall is the same on all four sides. You can also use rugs to define spaces. So if you have an open concept space, or you want to layer rugs, the rules can be a little different. Think about the area you want to highlight and choose a size based on that – but remember that it’s better to go too big than too small.
How to Clean Care for Area Rugs on Hardwood Floors?
Keeping the rug pad in its best shape through the years is quite easy if you follow the quick tips below:
- When there is a spill on the rug, clean it immediately. Aside from spot cleaning the rug, you also have to look at the rug pad and see if it has been wet. This is especially true if the pad is not water-resistant.
- Regular vacuuming is also a must, not only for the rug but even for your rug pad. It can accumulate dust over time and can be a source of allergens. If you have open-weave or open-grid rug pads, vacuuming may no longer be necessary.
- Every once in a while, take the rug pad outside and shake it. This is an easy way to get rid of loose dirt and dust, making sure that they won’t accumulate and go unnoticed.
A hardwood floor is one of the best ways to improve the aesthetics of any room and give it a hint of elegance. However, one problem with hardwood is that it can be prone to a number of problems, such as staining, scratches, and stripping. It is not enough that you put a rug as it is more of just a decorative piece. For the ultimate protection for your hardwood floors, you should invest in a rug pad.
The best rug pad is indeed an excellent investment for rug preservation, prevention of damage to hardwood floors, and improved comfort, among other things. Nonetheless, not all rug pads can demonstrate the same quality. To enjoy the best bang for the buck, limit your choices to the products that we have mentioned in this guide