Laminate floors are great for adding a hint of elegance at home without the need to spend a fortune. Compared to hardwood floors, laminates are cheaper, but this does not mean that the appearance is compromised. It is also long-lasting. However, for the latter to be true, you need to exert effort in its cleaning, and this is where the importance of the best steam mop for laminate floors enters the picture.
The steam mop is an innovative alternative to the traditional mop. It requires less effort on your end, especially because there is no need to deal with a messy bucket of water. It is a convenient way to clean the laminate floors, especially if you pick the right product. Keep on reading the rest of this guide and learn more from some of recommendations for you.
- What mop is best for laminate flooring?
- Bissell 1940 PowerFresh Steam Mop
- Bissell 94E9T Steam Mop Select
- Shark Professional Steam Pocket Mop S3601D
- SharkNinja S1000A Steam Mop
- Sienna Luna Plus SSM-3016 Steam Cleaning System
- O-Cedar Microfiber Steam Mop
- SKG 1,500-watt Steam Mop
- Light ‘n Easy Steam Mop
- Dirt Devil PD20000B Steam Cleaner
- Haan SI-60 Select Multi-Level Steamer
- PurSteam ThermaPro Steam Mop Cleaner
- Why should you use a steam mop?
- How to Choose a Steam Mop for Laminate Floors
What mop is best for laminate flooring?
If you go online and search for a steam mop that is made specifically for cleaning laminate floors, you will most likely be overwhelmed with the long list of the choices. Here, we round up 10 of the steam mops for laminate floors that you should pick.
Bissell 1940 PowerFresh Steam Mop
Weighing only 7.6 pounds, this is the best that you can find on the market. Let the reviews speak for itself. With more than 10,000 reviews on Amazon, you can be confident that it is going to deliver a cleaning performance that is hard to match. More than just cleaning, it will be effective in sanitizing the floor.
Even tough and sticky dirt will be effortless to remove when you use this steam mop. You can enjoy versatility as there are three steam levels, allowing you to choose which one is most appropriate for a specific task. It also has fragrance discs to give the floor a refreshing smell while making it look spotless.
The Best Uses For: Laminate floor, Floor Steamer, Tile Cleaner, and Hard Wood Floor Cleaner
In this video reviews bissell powerfresh steam mop 19404. It give your hard floors a shiny,sanitized clean with the variable, digital steam control. Armed with the handy,flip-down Easy Scrubber, you can thoroughly clean tough messes.
Bissell 94E9T Steam Mop Select
Made by the same manufacturer as the product previously mentioned, this steam mop also offers 100% chemical-free cleaning. The kit is inclusive of microfiber mop pads that are capable of delivering a superior cleaning performance. There is an easy to use and ergonomic trigger, which will be important for your comfort. It is in a strategic position to reduce fatigue, especially when you have to clean a large area. The tank, on the other hand, can hold up to 17 ounces of water.
The Best Uses For: Laminate floors, lux vinyl flooring, hard wood floors
Shark Professional Steam Pocket Mop S3601D
With the use of this innovative mop, you can choose from three cleaning modes for your laminate floor. You can choose from steam, spray, and steam and spray. More than just providing a deep cleaning, it can also sanitize the floor. Meanwhile, with the activation of the Energized Cleanser feature of this mop, you can remove even the toughest and greasiest dirt on the surface without the need to exert too much effort on your end. To make the most out of this mop, the manufacturer recommends that you use only distilled water, which will prevent build-ups that could clog some of the main components.
With this pocket steam mop you can eliminate all sorts of dirt that hides even in hard-to-reach crevices. Additionally, the Shark steam mop dries your wet surfaces faster. saving you precious time for things you enjoy. Moreover, in case of laminate, faster drying time means less risk of water penetrating deep inside the flooring.
Shark Professional Steam Pocket Mop can perform different activities, including mopping, scrubbing, and steam-dusting. Depending on your tasks you can easily switch between these modes, applying more steam on high-traffic areas and less steam on delicate surfaces, such as laminate. The device also has a detachable steam nozzle which can be used for mopping windows, mirrors, cabinets, upholstery, car interiors, etc.
The Best Uses For: Steam Mop Suitable for Pet Hair On Laminate Floors.
Note: When using Shark Professional Steam Pocket Mop on your laminate floor, make sure to avoid overheating, since continuous exposure to high temperatures can cause delamination.
Video give you an overview of the Shark Steam Mop that I’ve been using in my house for the past 4 years. I give an overview of the features as well as pros and cons of the mop. I then demonstrate how I mop my kitchen floors each week!
SharkNinja S1000A Steam Mop
Take advantage of the power of steam by using this mop to get rid of stubborn dirt on your laminate floors. There is no more need to clean it manually. With the use of steam, dirt and bacteria will be eliminated all at once. It has a large tank, which will prevent the frequent need to refill it with water. There is also an 18-foot cord, which means that you do not need to be always near the source of power. It also features an on-demand steam, which allows the mop to be ready to work in just 30 seconds.
The Best Uses For: Hard Floor, Pads
Sienna Luna Plus SSM-3016 Steam Cleaning System
One of the reasons why this is a well-loved product is the fact that it provides a cleaning system, allowing it to offer versatility. Beyond being a steam mop, there are several attachments that are included to transform it into a multifunctional cleaning tool. It is also a good thing that it is equipped with a LED light to provide illumination when cleaning in poorly-lit areas. Meanwhile, with the sonic micro pulse vibration, you can also choose different levels of steam to get rid of bacteria on the floor without the need to rely on harsh chemicals.
The Best Uses For: Laminate and carpet, hardwood or tile floors, you can also use it to steam clean windows, car interiors, bathrooms, kitchen counters, BBQ grills, etc.
Sienna Luna vs Shark Steam Mop Which Is Better?
O-Cedar Microfiber Steam Mop
With the use of this steam mop, there is no need to wait long before it is ready to work. From the time it is plugged, it will only take about 20 seconds before it starts producing steam for cleaning the laminate floors. There is an adjustable steam setting, allowing you to choose which one is most appropriate based on the extent of the cleaning that needs to be done. As a bonus, there is also a snap-on glider, which will come handy when you will use it for cleaning carpets.
The Best Uses For: Tile, wood and Pads
SKG 1,500-watt Steam Mop
The 1,500-watt motor is perhaps one of the best assets of this model, providing a guarantee of its powerful performance. It has the ability to produce hot steam with a temperature of up to 212 degrees Fahrenheit, making it possible to not only clean but also sanitize floors. There are several accessories that are included to make it a versatile cleaning equipment. For instance, there are attachments that will allow you to use it for cleaning even windows and upholstery. To provide you with a guarantee of satisfaction, it is also a good thing that it comes with a two-year warranty from the manufacturer.
The Best Uses For: Laminate Floors, Hardwood and Carpet
Light ‘n Easy Steam Mop
If you are on the lookout for a budget-friendly alternative, this is one product that should be on the top of the list. Despite the affordable price, the functionality is never compromised. It weighs less than four pounds, which will make it easy to move around and will not easily lead to fatigue, even when you are cleaning a large area. There is a manual pump that you have to push to release the steam. It might require quite an effort on your end, but this is actually a good way for you to save water.
The Best Uses For: Tile, Grout, Laminate, Hardwood, Carpet
Dirt Devil PD20000B Steam Cleaner
Equipped with a motor capable of producing up to 1,500 watts of power, it will only take 30 seconds before this steam mop will be ready for the task. It comes with a V-shaped head, which is good in terms of being able to access corners and tight spaces. The handle is also adjustable so that you can customize it based on what you find to be most comfortable. Filling the water, on the other hand, will be effortless with the smart design of the reservoir. There is also a convenient water level indicator to let you know when there is a need to have it refilled.
Haan SI-60 Select Multi-Level Steamer
One of the best things about this steam mop is the swivel head, which will be great in terms of maneuverability, making it easy for you to clean your laminate floors. Meanwhile, you will also be able to use it in carpets because it comes with a glider attachment. It also has a telescopic pole, which makes it space-efficient. Meanwhile, with the 25-foot cord, it will be easy for you to move around when cleaning. To provide good value for the money, there are also two pads that are included when you purchase this steam mop.
PurSteam ThermaPro Steam Mop Cleaner
Among others, one of the best things about this product is the fact that it is a 10-in-1 system, making it useful beyond being a steam mop that will clean your laminate floors. It can also be used as a garment steamer and window cleaner, among other uses. It is lightweight and maneuverable, which will be great for your comfort. There are also three adjustable modes, allowing you to have it customized based on the cleaning needs. The reservoir, on the other hand, has a capacity of 345 ml, which will be more than enough for up to 25 minutes of continuous production of steam.
Why should you use a steam mop?
If you are not yet convinced that you need a steam mop at home, here are some of the benefits that could possibly change your mind:
- It Cleans and Sanitizes: With the use of a steam mop, you will not only be able to clean the floor, but you will also be able to sanitize it. A lot of the manufacturers advertise that their mops are capable of eliminating up to 99% of bacteria on the surface.
- It Does Not Use Harsh Chemicals: When cleaning, many of you would rely on the use of detergents and common cleaners that contain harsh chemicals. With a steam mop, all that you need is water.
- It Produces A Fresh Scent: This is a benefit that is tied to the fact that you do not have to rely on the use of chemical cleaners. After steam mopping, your home will have a fresher smell.
- It Is Versatile: The versatility of steam mops is another benefit worth noting. More often than not, there are attachments included for multifunctional cleaning. Most can also be used for cleaning different floor types.
- It Speeds Up Drying Time: When you use a traditional mop and water for cleaning the floor, one problem is that it might take quite a while before it dries. A steam mop, on the other hand, significantly reduces the drying time.
Can you use a steam mop on laminate flooring?
I have been using a Shark steam mop on my laminate floors. It leaves streaks and you can see footprints after the floor is dry. It looks awful. I don’t care how many times I go over it, the streaks are still there. Is the steam ruining the finish on the floor?
If the footprints are there before the cleaning and the same footprints remain after the cleaning, that means that the steam mop has not cleaned the floor. Footprints are caused by the oils on our feet. Although heat works well for cutting through oil in general, sometimes it’s just not enough. Try cleaning the floor with a vinegar/water mix or one of the other cleaners.
Also, check the pad on your steam cleaner. If it is dirty, then it’s no longer absorbing the dirt and oils that the steam loosens, and instead is just pushing them around.
To answer your question about whether heat can damage the finish?
Yes, it is possible, but it is unlikely that would happen with a steam mop and it does not sound like that is what’s happening streaks. When steam mopping, you move the mop over the floor surface fairly quickly, so the heat is very brief. If you were to hold the mop in one place and steam that one spot for an extended period of time, then that would likely damage the finish. Heat damage to wood appears as a white mark in the location of the heat. Streaks are usually an accumulation of dirt/grime being spread around on a surface.
Again though, since you mentioned that you go over the same area multiple times trying to get it clean, it is possible that the streaks are caused by heat. So if the floor does not come out clean with a traditional vinegar or cleaner cleaning. Something else you can consider is using distilled water in your steam mop. If you have hard water, the streaks could be caused by that.
To make the most out of your steam mop and for superior cleaning outcomes, here are some of the most important things you have to keep in mind:
The key is to prepare the floor before cleaning. A steam mop is not an all-around cleaner. Before you start, you should sweep or vacuum the floor first. Most steam mops do not have the suction power to get rid of the dirt on the surface.
- Changing the mop pads from time to time is important. These pads are like filters. They attract dirt. When it is full of dirt, it will no longer be as efficient in cleaning.
- In the case of most models, the reservoir is designed for water alone. This will be more than enough for cleaning and sanitizing the floors. Adding vinegar and soap, among others, can ruin its functionality.
- While steam mops can be used for laminate floors, it will be best to test it first in a small area. If the floor expands or the edges curl, do not use the steam mop as it is specifically designed for sealed flooring.
- If the dirt is thick and stubborn, leave the mop on that area for about eight seconds or longer if it is still not removed.
- Rinse and clean the mop after every use. Otherwise, dirt will accumulate and harden on the surface, which will compromise its cleaning performance.
How to Choose a Steam Mop for Laminate Floors
To increase the likelihood that you will end up with the right choice, here are some of the most important considerations:
- Ease of Use: The steam mop should have user-friendly controls. It should also be lightweight, making it easy to move around. Maneuverability should be effortless, especially if you have to clean a large area.
- Tank: The capacity of the tank or the reservoir is also important. If it is too small, you will need to refill the water frequently, which can be tiring. It should also be transparent or should have a water level indicator, which will let you easily know when there is a need to refill.
- Heat-Up Time: The best steam mops should heat up within the first 20 to 30 seconds after it has been plugged. This can be possible if there is a powerful motor.
- Versatility: It will also be good if you will pick a multifunctional steam mop, which has several attachments that can be used for different cleaning applications.
- Customization: By having options for customization, this means that you should have the opportunity to adjust the steam level of the mop depending on what is required for a specific cleaning task.
- Power Cord: The mop should have a power cord between 15 to 30 feet. This will allow you to easily move around without the need to be near the socket all the time.
If you are trying to maintain you laminate floor here are some maintenance tips:
- Becareful with the laminate floor cleaner that you buy. Lot of chemical based floor cleaners tend to leave behind residue and can make your flooring look dull. Invest in a steam mop so you can eliminate the need to use chemical cleaners and just steam clean your laminate flooring.
- Sweep your laminate flooring on a daily basis to prevent dust and dirt from sticking to the surface. Sweeping on daily basis prevents you from alot of scrubbing and mopping in the future. prevents you from alot of future scrubbing and mopping.
- Do not use soap or any other household cleaner to clean your laminate floors as they leave unsightly streaks. If you have spots or stains invest in a steam mop that will help lift the stains from the floor. A steam mop is more convientent to use when you have spills and spots.
- Do not wax your laminate flooring.
You can reviewed the best vacuums for laminate floors if you’d like to upgrade the one you have now.
Many people ask, “Can I use a steam mop on laminate flooring?” Our answer would be yes, but we recommend that you set the steam level on low. In that a case a steam mop will not damage laminate floors.
In sum, if you have laminate floors, a steam mop is an investment that you need to have. It makes use of the power of steam to get rid of dirt and bacteria on the floor. This is a great alternative to using cleaners that contain harsh chemicals. Keep an eye on the ten products listed above and you will find it easier to have cleaner and fresher floors at home!