A shag carpet is one of the best ways to instantly improve the aesthetics of any room. It does not only add a hint of elegance, but it also makes it feel more comfortable.
You need a vacuum best for a shag carpet but the price is a little too high for you now. And you need advice on which vacuum has the best suction for a shag carpet?
The Carpet and Rug Institute: “some high pile carpets require alternative vacuums to ensure damage does not occur during vacuuming. These high pile styles are typically referred to as high nap frieze or shags”
However, while shag carpets look nice, they can be difficult to clean. Dirt and dust can easily cling to the fibers and may be difficult to remove. You’ll need one of the best vacuums for shag carpet plus a lot of patience.
The best vacuum cleaners for shag carpet cleaning usually feature adjustable height plus the ability to turn off the brush roller to avoid tangling.
While it’s often easier to use a canister on shag, some uprights can do the job, too. It’s also good to look for adjustable suction, large wheels, and attachments that you can use for cleaning other areas of your home.
- Best Vacuum For Plush Carpet 2021
- Best Vacuum For Deep Cleaning Carpet 2021
- Best Robot Vacuum and Mop for Carpet 2021
- Top 12 Best Vacuum Cleaner For Shag Carpet 2021
- 1. Soniclean Soft Carpet Upright Vacuum Cleaner
- 2. Shark Rotator Powered Lift-Away TruePet Upright Vacuum (NV752)
- 3. Miele Grey Classic C1 Pure Suction Canister Vacuum Cleaner
- 4. Kenmore Elite 21814 Pet Friendly CrossOver Lightweight Bagged HEPA Canister Vacuum
- 5. Oreck Magnesium RS Swivel-Steering Upright Vacuum Cleaner
- 6. Bissell Cleanview Upright Bagless Vacuum Cleaner 1831
- 7. Shark Navigator Deluxe Upright Corded Bagless Vacuum NV42
- 8. Miele Compact C1 Pure Suction Powerline Canister Vacuum
- 9. BISSELL Cleanview Rewind Pet Deluxe Upright Vacuum 24899
- 10. Hoover T-Series Wind Tunnel Rewind Plus Bagless Corded Vacuum Cleaner
- 11. Shark Rocket DuoClean Ultra-light Corded Vacuum
- 12. Electrolux EL4335B Corded Ultra Flex Canister Vacuum
- How Do You Vacuum a High Pile Rug?
- How to Choose the Best Vacuums for Shag Carpet
- What is a Shag carpet?
- Related posts:
Top 12 Best Vacuum Cleaner For Shag Carpet 2021
Things to look for in the best vacuums for shag carpet include height adjustment, the ability to turn off the brush, suction adjustment, and large wheels. You might find vacuuming with a canister to be much easier than using an upright. And don’t forget to include features you’ll need for cleaning the rest of the house, too.
1. Soniclean Soft Carpet Upright Vacuum Cleaner
Soniclean Soft Carpet Upright Vacuum is a top pick when you want to find the best vacuum for shag carpet and high pile rug. The Carpet and Rug Institute has recognized this as an exceptional product, which should already make you confident that it will be an exceptional choice for shag carpet. Among others, one of its best features is the patented Sonic Cleaning Technology makes the vacuum easy to push and pull on softer and thicker carpets.
It is the recommended tool for cleaning Mohawk Superstrand plush carpet. It has an adjustable vent system and large wheels that keep the vacuum mobile on high pile carpets without diminishing the suction at all.
At the bottom, there is a sonic bar that is capable of producing up to 200 vibrations per second to get rid of dirt deep on the high pile carpet. This is even made better by the ultra-soft bristles on the brush roll, which will be gentle on the carpet fibers. It also has an exclusive vent system that allows it to roll smoothly on shag carpets. If the vacuum ever jams, it shuts down automatically.
2. Shark Rotator Powered Lift-Away TruePet Upright Vacuum (NV752)
If you have a pet at home and if you are worried about how to clean your shag carpet, this is one product that should be on your list. More than for cleaning shag carpets, it will also be equally powerful when used on hard floors.
There is a True Pet Motorized Brush and Pet Multi-Tool. Even the tiniest strands of pet hair will not be able to escape this vacuum cleaner. It also has a HEPA filter and anti-allergen complete seal technology. More so, there is an ergonomic control panel that is easy for your fingers to reach.
3. Miele Grey Classic C1 Pure Suction Canister Vacuum Cleaner
Miele Grey Classic C1 Pure Suction Canister Vacuum is one of the best canister vacuums for shag carpet. With this high-end vacuum cleaner, you do not need to exert a lot of effort when cleaning your shag carpet. It is equipped with a 1,200-watt motor that delivers reliable suction. It has a version of their SBD 285-3 Pure Suction Combination Floorhead made especially for delicate rugs with high pile and long strands.
A Combination Floorhead and a footswitch allow you to switch from a hard floor to carpeting with ease. Includes a metal soleplate for easy gliding across surfaces and rubberized wheels to prevent scratches on flooring.
For your comfort, there is a 5-height adjustable power brush. Meanwhile, the AirClean System also effectively gets rid of allergens. The unit comes with three 360-degree swivel wheels for ease of maneuverability. There is also onboard storage to easily access the cleaning tools that you will need.
4. Kenmore Elite 21814 Pet Friendly CrossOver Lightweight Bagged HEPA Canister Vacuum
Kenmore Elite 21814 vacuum is a smart choice for a person with allergies. It’s a bagged canister with a sealed HEPA filtration system that retains 99.9% of the particles it cleans out of your carpet. Moreover, the filter is certified by the Asthma and Allergy Foundation of America. It does have really good suction and works great on both bare floors and carpet.
Unlike many floorheads on canister vacuums that are very difficult to move on shag carpets, the ultra-plush one on the 21814 is easy to push and pull. And there are three other attachments including a motorized brush for picking up pet hair and dirt.
5. Oreck Magnesium RS Swivel-Steering Upright Vacuum Cleaner
This vacuum may be one of the few safe options for cleaning shag and long-stranded carpets. It has the Carpet & Rug Institute Seal of Approval for safe and gentle cleaning of delicate surfaces. Furthermore, it has side brushes for cleaning along baseboards and large wheels for freedom of movement on high pile carpets.
This vacuum versatile and highly effective at cleaning virtually any floor surface in your home, from long pile carpet to hard floors. The high speed is recommended if you are cleaning shag carpets.
Meanwhile, the low speed is best when you are dealing with low-pile carpets or Persian rugs. It is also a good thing that it has brushes on the side, which will be effective when it comes to cleaning baseboards. It will automatically adjust to the highest carpet pile with no manual adjustments needed.
The sealed HEPA filter system stores the vacuumed debris in a bag for no-mess disposal. Additionally, the Magnesium is protected by a 7-year warranty and comes with an offer for three yearly tune-up
6. Bissell Cleanview Upright Bagless Vacuum Cleaner 1831
If you are looking for an affordable vacuum cleaner under $100 and that will work for a shag carpet, this is another option worth considering. It has One Pass technology, which does exactly what it implies – to clean in one pass. It also has a multi-cyclonic cleaning system to get rid of tough dirt even on high-pile carpets.
This is also made possible because of the 8-amp motor that comes with the unit. Meanwhile, the dirt cup has a capacity of two liters, which means that it will take quite a while before there is a need to have it emptied.
This is a powerful and lightweight vacuum cleaner that is designed specifically for soft carpets. Weighing only 15 pounds, there should be no problem with maneuverability as it is easy to move around. It has a powerful motor that does not lose suction, regardless of the dirt it is dealing with.
This is basically because of the 1,000-watt 10-amp motor of the unit. It also excels in terms of versatility as it comes with different attachments for a variety of cleaning applications. It comes with a crevice tool, dusting brush, and upholstery tool.
8. Miele Compact C1 Pure Suction Powerline Canister Vacuum
The Compact C1 Pure Suction canister vacuum is ready to clean your shag and bare floors around the house, too. It has both adjustable suction and adjustable height levels to everything from hardwood to frieze. A footswitch allows you to switch from hard floor to carpeting with ease. Includes a metal soleplate for easy gliding across surfaces and rubberized wheels to prevent scratches on flooring.
If you have super-plush rugs, try the New Miele Complete C3 Calima Canister Vacuum we reviewed above. This canister vacuum is maneuverable and easy to use with a 29,5-feet cord and a swivel neck for quick turns. It also lays flat to clean underneath beds. Plus, it has a sealed HEPA filter system that’s excellent at reducing allergens.
9. BISSELL Cleanview Rewind Pet Deluxe Upright Vacuum 24899
BISSELL Cleanview upright cleans ultra-plush high pile rugs effectively. It’s also an obvious choice for pet owners with animals that shed. Although it has very powerful suction, it moves easily on high pile carpets. And you can detach the canister and use it as a hand vac, too.
Attach the pet hair removal tool, the crevice tool, and dusting brush roll, or the bare floor brush to clean all around the house. The long 35-foot cord and LED headlight make the work even easier.
10. Hoover T-Series Wind Tunnel Rewind Plus Bagless Corded Vacuum Cleaner
One of the reasons why this vacuum perfect for cleaning shag carpets is that it has 5-position carpet height adjustment. Regardless of how high or thick the carpet is, there is a setting that will be ideal for deep cleaning.
The vacuum has the revolutionary Wind Tunnel Technology, which provides it with exceptional power. For your convenience and comfort, it is also easy to maneuver, especially because it weighs less than 17 pounds. It also has an eight-foot hose for an extended reach. Plus, with the 25-foot cord, you do not need to be always near the source of power.
11. Shark Rocket DuoClean Ultra-light Corded Vacuum
While it will definitely be able to clean shag carpets, this is an impressive choice as it is equally powerful when it comes to cleaning hardwood floors. It has a bristle brush-roll that will provide a deep cleaning for carpets. Even large debris will be effortless for it to remove out of the surface.
It weighs only 4.6 pounds, which is excellent in terms of maneuverability. Even when cleaning a large room, you won’t easily feel tired. It is also a good thing that there are LED lights for cleaning dark corners. The kit is also inclusive of a pet multi-tool.
12. Electrolux EL4335B Corded Ultra Flex Canister Vacuum
The Electrolux EL4335B canister has three height adjustment levels as well as the ability to switch off the brush roll so that it can safely clean laminate, area rugs, and plush carpet, too. Even better, Electrolux understands that no one loves to pull hairs off the beater bar. This carpet vacuum has a self-cleaning system for the brush roller.
If you have an ultra-plush carpet at home, this will be a great vacuum cleaner to have. Powered by a 12-amp motor, you can be confident that its cleaning performance will be hard to match. It also has HEPA filtration, which allows it to get rid of up to 99.97% of allergens and dust. Lastly, for your peace of mind, the manufacturer offers a five-year limited warranty.
How Do You Vacuum a High Pile Rug?
The best way to care for your shag carpet is to vacuum it with a suction-only vacuum. If your vacuum has a beater bar, be sure to disengage it when vacuuming your shag carpet. When disengaged, the brushes on the beater bar should not come in contact with or abrade the fibers as you vacuum.
The reason? Using a beater bar or brush may cause the yarns to “feather out” or lose their twist, resulting in pilling or fuzzing. That means your shag carpet would no longer look the way it did when you fell in love with it. It would lose its unique character.
If you have a particularly thick shag carpet, you might consider using an epilator or grooming rake to keep your carpet looking well-groomed and carefully coiffed.
Caring for your shag carpet with frequent and suction-only vacuuming will ensure that your shag carpet provides you with the Beauty, Comfort, and Durability you expect from it.
Aside from regular vacuuming, here are other things that you can do to maintain the best appearance of your shag carpet:
One of the most effective ways of cleaning a shag carpet would be through a process that is known as dry shampooing. Look for carpet shampoo, usually in the form of granules. Sprinkle it on the top of the carpet. Brush the top or have it vacuumed.
If there is a spill, make sure to clean it immediately. The longer you leave it, the harder the dirt can be and the more difficult it will be to remove. Spot cleaning is the best way to clean spills. A solution made of vinegar and water will be a great natural way to get rid of stains caused by spills.
Sometimes, a simple shake will be more than enough to clean shag carpets, especially if they are made of delicate materials. It will also be good to air it out or dry it under the heat of the sun to get rid of germs.
If you have a large and expensive carpet and if you are too afraid to clean it on your own, your best course of action is to call professional carpet cleaners and let them handle the job.
How to Choose the Best Vacuums for Shag Carpet
To easily narrow down the possibilities, here are some of the most important things you have to take into consideration:
- Suction Power: This will depend on the motor that powers the vacuum cleaner. The motor should be powerful enough since it has to penetrate deeply into the fibers of the long-pile carpet and not just on the surface
- Weight: As with other types of vacuum cleaner, you will benefit from choosing one that is lightweight. This will be easy for you to move around. You won’t easily feel tired if it is lightweight. It will also be good if it comes with wheels.
- Steering: Swivel steering is a good feature for your comfort. This is going to be a huge time-saver. You do not need to exert too much effort in moving it around, which will be especially useful if you have to clean a large area.
- Filtration: You will also benefit from choosing a vacuum cleaner with excellent HEPA filtration, which will allow it to get rid of irritants, dust, and allergens. Plus, a washable filter will also be great, especially for saving money.
- Light: This is an optional feature that you might find useful. A lot of higher-end models have light in front of the brush or the cleaning head, which will be useful when cleaning under the seats or in dark corners.
- Versatility: A versatile vacuum cleaner is one that comes with a wide array of accessories for different cleaning functions. For instance, you will benefit from one that comes with a crevice tool or a multi-pet brush.
- Canister: This refers to the container that holds the dust and dirt that will be extracted from the carpet. A large container is good since it means that there is no need to frequently have it emptied. It will also be good if it is transparent to easily let you know when there is a need to empty it.
Warranty: In case the vacuum cleaner becomes defective, if it is still within the warranty coverage, the manufacturer can have it repaired for free or provide replacement of the damaged parts, depending on their conditions.
What is a Shag carpet?
Before anything else, let us first have a quick look at what exactly a shag carpet is, which will also provide you with an understanding why it cannot be cleaned with just any vacuum.
The deep pile of a shag carpet is what makes it different from the other types of carpets. It has a shaggy appearance, which is exactly why it was named as such. It first became popular in the 1970s. While it became less popular in the past decades, it is getting back in the scene. The carpet is typically made of long yarn fibers of varying thickness.
Compared to regular carpets, it has longer piles. This is also the reason why you need a special type of vacuum. When you use a regular vacuum, it may clean only the top part and won’t be able to penetrate deeply on the fibers. There are also instances when the fibers can be damaged when you use the wrong type of a vacuum cleaner.
The following are some of the common materials that you can find in a shag carpet:
- Flokati: It is a handmade wool rug that is popular in Greece. The color is usually white or cream, which gives it an elegant appeal. It is 100% wool, including the backing. This is a soft and fluffy rug that will remind you of a sheep wool.
- Wool: The shag carpets that fall under this category can be generally classified into two. The first one is noodles, which are made of thick fibers. Shaggy wool, on the other hand, is a lot finer.
- Leather: It looks like crumpled paper that transformed into a carpet. Compared to other materials for a shag carpet, leather is a lot easier to clean. However, they are expensive and not pet-friendly.
- Acrylic: This is a budget-friendly option for a shag carpet. However, you might want to stay away from acrylic since it is a material that is highly flammable.
- Synthetic: They are also budget-friendly and easy to care, especially when compared to wool. However, they do not look beautiful and elegant. They are also inferior in terms of quality, and hence, they will not last long.
Carpet generally wants to be vacuumed frequently, ideally twice a week and more often in high traffic areas. Shag carpet is no different. However, one major difference does exist between shag and other carpets, and it has to do with beater bars…
The best vacuums for shag carpet will be an essential cleaning tool to have at home. They make sure that your high-pile carpets are free from dirt, dust, and allergens. They make them look better and removes irritants. Nonetheless, not all options are created the same. So, to avoid having regrets, limit your choices to the products that have been mentioned above.