I accidentally dropped a mug of coffee on a carpet 100% wool. I’ve searched google as I won’t have been the first person to do this but can’t find a post suggesting ways to remove the stain. I’ve tried every way and it’s lifted the stain a bit but not completely. Is hydrogen peroxide safe to use on carpet stains, upholstery and wool rugs? Can it be used as a stand-alone spray or rinse?
Does hydrogen peroxide remove coffee stains from carpet? A coffee stain on carpet can is difficult to remove, especially if allowed to set. However, there are methods that should work successfully. This is a guide about cleaning coffee stains on carpet or clothing.
My traffic areas carpet were pretty bad. I mean really bad and I tried everything and nothing worked. I eventually came up with my own concoction. You can use hydrogen peroxide to remove stains on your carpet. It is not super dangerous for you, you just need to be careful.
As it was mentioned, it will be easy if you have concentrated hydrogen peroxide. If you do not have don’t worry. There is a small and easy trick that will help you.
- Get Some Hot Water: You do not need boiling water. When you feel “hot” with your skin, it is enough.
- Add Hydrogen Peroxide Into The Water: If you have 50% hydrogen peroxide, dilute it to water. 1/5 is enough. If you have less then 10% hydrogen peroxide, 90% of the mixture should be hydrogen peroxide and rest will be hot water. By adding hot water to hydrogen peroxide, we increase its activity so it will work better and quicker.
- Wait: Wait a maximum of 30 minutes. It should be gone. If it stays, repeat the same procedure.
- Rinse With Water: This is important. You should rinse with water. This must be done not because to remover hydrogen peroxide, but to remove some parts of stains. Some of the stains will be removed, some of them cannot be removed totally. When you rinse, you can remove the rest.
If you have still stains on your carpet the ones cannot be removed by hydrogen peroxide, you may want to use solvent bases stain removers.
Here is my solution coffee stains carpet by baking soda and vinegar:
- You can buy a 3.5-pound bag of baking soda and a big jug of vinegar for fairly cheap, also. Both are natural deodorizers and great for carpet stains.
- Sprinkle the baking soda over your carpet, heavier on stains, and brush into the carpet with your broom. Allow it to sit for about half an hour.
- Then, using a spray bottle, spray vinegar over the carpet. It will help to remove the stains before you carpet clean, plus when it has its bubble reaction it lifts the dirt way down in your carpet up to the top. Just focus on the stains and they’ll come up.
Also, remember to rinse your carpet by the carpet cleaner machine. Those stains that always come back are because they’re so concentrated with residue that they attract dirt. It may take several times, but eventually, you get it all and they stop reappearing. You wouldn’t wash your dishes without rinsing off the soap, carpets are no different.
Sometimes with difficult stains I use the formula DIY Carpet cleaner for a machine.
- 1-gallon hot water
- 1/2cup peroxide
- 4 Tbsp white vinegar
- 4 Tbsp Dawn dish soap
- 1/2 cup fabric softener.
Homemade Carpet Cleaner Solution For Machine
Stir slowly then add to the machine as directed by the manufacturer. I used a Bissell ProHeat Machine Works amazing! I recommend this natural Carpet Cleaner.